The grand godmother, who pioneered cooking classes in India, is 75 and is still busy sharing the secrets from her kitty. She is no one other than Tarla Dalal who requires no introduction. Women who brought revolution to the cooking world. She is one of the top 5 best-selling cookery authors in the world. She has written a total of 170 titles, several of which have been translated in various languages like Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Bengali, Dutch and Russian.
She has launched cook books along with health series and new series in the kiddie section.
Let us find out more about Tarla Dalal.
1. NS: Who is motivating force behind your success?
Tarla Dalal: My husband has been motivating force behind my success and now my son Sanjay.
2. NS: Had you ever thought that cooking talent will give you fame and name?
Tarla Dalal: Never. It is a surprise to me.
3. NS: In your opinion what is the most important “ingredient” for good cooking?
Tarla Dalal: Cook with a smiling face and love that is what will make the recipe correct and delicious.
4. NS: Indian cuisine is best known for its spices. Do you think there is much more than just spices, that Indian cuisine should be known for and why? What would be those, if yes?
Tarla Dalal: Yes spices are very important in Indian cuisine. They are used in all dishes just that the kind of spice used varies from each dish like a soup, starter, main course to a dessert making Indian cuisine stand out.
5. NS: Today’s women do not have time to spend in the kitchen, any tips about cooking for busy women.
Tarla Dalal: Always keep all ingredients ready before you begin to cook and read the entire recipe carefully to avoid any mistakes you might make during cooking.
Always store paste like garlic, ginger, green chili, etc to speed up your pre cooking time.
6. NS: What is one thing you have learned from your life that you think others will benefit from knowing?
Tarla Dalal: There is always room for knowledge and improvement. Every day is a day where you learn something new…
7. NS: What suggestions would you give to a person who, like you, wants to make their passion turn into a career?
Tarla Dalal: Please your family, friends and then they will guide you further. Keep trying new recipes and you will learn and gain confidence.
8. NS: What are your future plans for Tarla Dalal Empire?
Tarla Dalal: To promote Vegetarian cooking.
Let’s conclude off with a few favorites.
Cuisine: Mexican and Italian
Movie: Emotional family oriented movies.
Book: Kalapi famous Guajarati author poetry book
Kitchen appliance : Hand Mixy
For more information you can visit www.tarladalal.com
——-Interviewed by Laxmi Khalap Bhatt, Editor, www.narisakhi.com