Potatoes are everyone’s favorite among all regions, culture and age group. It is easy to make and loved by everyone. Potatoes are recipe savers if your curry becomes spicy or salt. Just add potatoes to level spiciness or to level that extra salt. Potatoes can be made in different ways dry potatoes sookhi aloo sabzi, potato curry. It can be combined with other vegetables like cauliflower, peas, beans, etc. Favorite potato sabzi can be made in few minutes.
Goan Sookhi bhaji is famous breakfast in Goa which is usually picked up from restaurants. From big city to small villages there are small places which sell different breakfast items sooki batata bhaji (dry potatoes) tomato potato sabzi with gravy, green peas curry with mirchi, batata wada and served with bread, poee(Goan Bread). People sit at the restaurant and enjoy breakfast with hot tea and on weekends usually this breakfast combinations are picked up from the restaurant and enjoyed at home with the family with homemade masala chai or coffee.
Meaning of sookhi bhaji is dry potatoes but this sabzi has gravy which makes it special and tasty. Gravy is a combination of ghee, oil and water with the flavor of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chillis and asafoetida makes it tasty with added flavor of fresh cilantro leaves.
Goan sookhi potato sabzi. Dry spicy potato sabzi
- 2-3 medium size Potatoes (आलू)
- 2 tbsp Oil (तेल)
- 2 tsp Ghee (घी)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (राई)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (जीरा)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (हिंग)
- 3-4 Green chillis (हरी मिर्च)
- Salt (नमक)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 2 tbsp Chopped Cilantro (धनिया)
- Clean and boil the potatoes.
- Peel off the skin and cut into cubes,
- Take a pan and add oil and ghee.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter add cumin seeds.
- Add chopped green chillis and asafoetida.
- Add salt, turmeric and chopped potatoes to the pan.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cp of hot water to the potatoes.
- Add chopped cilantro and ready to serve.
- Simmer for 2 minutes. Serve with Bread, roti or dosa.