Idlis are perfect for breakfast, lunch and lunch box. It makes great meal for kids. They are healthy with proteins and you can pair it up with vegetable curry, chutney, etc. For kids you can serve idli with Jaggery or sweetners of your choice.
idli and dosa with one batter
- 3 Cups Rice (चावल)
- 1 Cup Urad dal (उड़द दाल)
- 1 Cup Poha (पोहा)
- Salt (नमक)
- Oil (तेल)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- Clean rice and urad dal separately. Rinse with water 2-3 times.
- Soak rice in water and urad dal separately for 4-5 hours
- When you are ready to grind rice and urad dal, rinse and clean flattened rice poha and soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Blend rice with littele water and urad dal and poha with water.
- Combine the batter. Mix well.
- Keep the idli batter in warm place for 6-8 hours for fermentation.
- After it is fermented, Take required quantity in separate bowl.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Grease idli moulds with oil or ghee.
- Pour batter in idli moulds and put in steamer or idli maker for 15-17 minutes.
- Put off the gas stove and allow idlis to cool down.
- demould the idlis and serve with sambhar, curry, chutney of your choice.